During summer, I tend to eat a lot of salads, which gets a bit monotonous. Please enter my new favourite addition – toasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds! And sure lets throw some toasted cashews in there too. Toasted seeds are an amazing snack – toasting them gives them another depth of flavour and the crunchy texture gives the sensation that you’re eating crisps – perfect when you’re having a snack craving.
I made this salad last night and the seeds and nuts gave just the crunch that I needed. It is so quick and requires very little cooking – so give it a try!!
Toasted Seed & Avocado Salad
- Half an Avocado
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Sunflower Seeds
- Cashew Nuts
- Salad Leaves
- 1 Egg
- 1 Peach
1. Boil an egg – I don’t think you need instructions on this one! I like runny yolks so I boil eggs for 10 mins.
2. Put a pan on medium heat. Lightly toast the seeds and nuts (with NO oil) tossing periodically.
3. Prepare the salad leaves, avocado, peach and mushrooms. Dice the avocado and peach into small pieces. Quarter the mushrooms.
4. Once the seeds and nuts are lightly toasted, remove the from the pan. Pour a glug of olive oil into the pan and return it to the heat. Once the oil is hot, add the mushrooms to the pan.
5. Place the leaves onto a plate. Add the avocado and peach pieces and sprinkle the seeds and nuts on top. Once the mushrooms are golden brown, add around the edge of the plate as they will be hot. Peel and slice the egg and add on top.
6. If you want, you can also add olive oil or balsamic vinegar as a light dressing. Be careful not to add too much though or you’ll lose the crunch of the seeds!