It’s started to get a bit colder so you know what that means…comfort food!! I hope you’ll like this super easy recipe for Cottage Pie and add it to your winter repertoire. This recipe serves 2 and can be made in advance and placed in the freezer.
- Potatoes – I’m the more the merrier on this but start with 6 medium sized potatoes
- 500g Minced Beef
- 2 Carrots – diced
- Brocolli – chopped
- 4 Mushrooms – diced
- 500ml Beef Stock
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Place the potatoes on a baking tray and cover lightly with salt. Bake for about 60 minutes.
2. The best way to mash potatoes is using a drum sieve – these things make the world easier. I was looking for one for ages and finally found one on Viking – it takes all the effort out of the mashing! Just split the baked potatoes in half and push them through the drum sieve – add butter and you have the creamiest mash ever! Set the mash aside (and try not to eat it all before you use it in the pie!)
3. After 40 minutes of baking the potatoes, place a large frying pan on a medium heat. Add the mince and cook until browned. Add the diced carrots and broccoli. After a few minutes add the diced mushrooms. Once cooked add the beef stock and reduce.
4. Place the beef into an oven proof dish. Gently place the mashed potato on top of the beef mix and spread out evenly. Using a fork, make a pattern on top of the potato to create the yummy crispy bits.
5. Put the cottage pie in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Once done, allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!!